Lullaby


Lullaby by The Dixie Chicks!

 

 The VaM-style spell today is Lullaby - the title coming from this song by The Chicks.

There was some really weird times in my life when I listened to this song a lot - I would go to class, work for a while - then I would invariably leave.

I would make sure I had my keycard - I would make sure I had my phone and headphones - and then I'd walk out of class - passing the bathroom and other classes.

I'd walk to the dumpsters and look through them - taking whatever I could use - or thought was interesting.

I would walk around the side of the building - past a ditch - away from the parking lot - towards the street.
I would cross - and walk between two churches - wind in the trees.

There was a continuation of this ditch - which had a bridge - and I would stand on the bridge.
Then I'd check the church dumpsters for treasure - then keep walking.

I would listen to music this whole time - and a couple songs stand out as always being part of this.

So then I would walk through a neighborhood - which was shaped like an 8 - and there was a specific turn I'd always take - and this song would play - for weeks and weeks I heard this song everyday in that spot.


There were lots of things I listened to that were important - I would listen to bonobo's defender, ayesha erotica's superhead, kidstreet's ninteen ninety three, glitch mob's the moment, jars of clay's tea and sympathy, ac newman's prophets, and lots of others

but there was a critical sequence I would listen to that stands above all the others

it was the following sequence:


Come in Peace - Hot Day and the Dreamteam

Lullaby - The Chicks

Wellcast: Coming Out

Susan Cottrell: 4 Tips For Coming Out To Your Parents

Fun for Me - Moloko


And I just will never get this song out of my head - it is in there forever.
The person I was - this trash hunting class avoiding walker - this deeply sad person - a ghost that kept walking the same route everyday, day after day feeling the same way at the same time for the same reasons from the same input.
I won't ever forget that person.



Those were some really weird times.

 





ok - Here are some definitions of Lullaby!

a quiet, gentle song sung to send a child to sleep.

sing to (someone) to get them to go to sleep.



Here are the heartwrenching lyrics!

They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to comeLife began when I saw your faceAnd I hear your laugh like a serenade
How long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough, is forever enoughHow long do you wanna to be loved?Is forever enough'Cause I'm never, never giving you up
I slip in bed when you're asleepTo hold you close and feel your breath on meTomorrow there'll be so much to doSo tonight I'll drift in a dream with you
How long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough, is forever enoughHow long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough'Cause I'm never, never giving you up
As you wander through this troubled worldIn search of all things beautifulYou can close your eyes when you're miles awayAnd hear my voice like a serenade
How long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough, is forever enoughHow long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough'Cause I'm never, never giving you up
How long do you wanna be love?Is forever enough, is forever enoughHow long do you wanna be loved?Is forever enough'Cause I'm never, never giving you upIs forever enough'Cause I'm never, never giving you up




Here is the spell's effects!




Lullaby




Duration: 5 rounds per caster level – or loud sound


Range: Hearing Range of Caster’s Voice


Lulls anything below the age of the caster to sleep in range of the caster’s voice, which sings a lullaby. The sleep lasts 5 rounds per caster level – or until a sound louder than a cough occurs within range of a sleeper.



Miscast Table



1 – The caster also falls asleep.


2 – The duration is halved.


3 – Anybody who wakes from slumber caused by Lullaby is summarily under the effects of Haste as if cast by a Magic-User of the caster of Lullaby’s level.


4 – Those who fall asleep may only be awakened by being dipped into water, and the caster also falls asleep.


5 – Whilst asleep, the dreamers’s souls may arise and affect the material world – treat this as you would Shades but the shades are opalescent and pearly.


6 – Whilst asleep – the dreamer’s souls visit the vast expanse of space – floating amongst incomprehensible wonders – when they awaken – they are now considered level one Magic-Users.


7 – The spell is slow – summarily, the singing of a lullaby must accompany the casting, and each potential sleeper gets a save vs magic to not fall asleep – and the spell may be continued through held concentration.


8 – A nightmare incursion rips through the veil – like a great cat cutting through a man – this incursion slices its way into the waking world – and it wants to drink the caster’s spinal fluid. It’s stats and abilities are up to the referee.

9 – The caster’s head explodes and hundreds of brilliantly colored stars, moons, planets, and comets shower forth in a dazzling display- bouncing around and sizzling like water in a hot pan. The comets will quickly burn out – the stars will ignite for a while then burn out like hot sparks of metal – the moons roll around like marbles of stone – and the planets may disperse, bounce, crack, or otherwise come to a stop.


10 – For the duration of the spell – the caster must maintain concentration and keep singing the lullaby – the second the duration is up, concentration is broken, or the singing stops – the spell is over.


11 – The spell is mischievous – and causes the caster to be extremely clumsy, any action they take has a 50% chance to be all thumbs and cause noise sufficient to wake sleepers in hearing range.


12 – The caster lulls themselves to sleep, and no-one else.

 

Comments